Bait Ball Sculpture
Bass Pro Shops • Retail & Restaurants • 2013
A&ES proves its versatility by flawlessly creating a spinning sculpture of goggle-eyed baitfish. Let A&ES take your project for a spin…
Heads spin viewing A&ES’s underwater design-build of a kinetic sculpture for the Bass Pro Shops watersports retail environment in Colorado Springs, CO. This cluster of frantically fleeing baitfish is incredibly realistic, mimicking nature to solicit smashing strikes. It grabs the attention of bass and other predators and encourages them to strike the target with authority. This fish phenomenon provides shoppers with a dynamic display while they browse and shop.
Capturing the imagination of divers, fishing professionals, and watersport novices with its mesmerizing goggle eyes, the A&ES bait ball kinetic sculpture accurately depicts a fish feeding frenzy.
The bait ball is a feeder fish school herded into a tightly spinning and ever-shifting ball by sailfish or other such large fish on which to feast. The bait ball’s central core, fabricated with fiberglass over a steel armature, houses an internal motor driving the continuous spinning motion. The feeder fish – molded in a goggle eyes likeness – are cast in resin, hand-painted, and attached to the core with metal rods. The entire sculpture, weighing approximately 350 pounds, securely hangs from the ceiling and is incorporated into an underwater scene in a retail environment.
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Assessment of preliminary space plans
- Provision of project management services including preparation of project budgets and schedules
- Preparation of construction documents, consisting of plans, details, and specifications
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes
- Identify facility impacts between contractor and A&ES components
- The organization, coordination, and planning
- Pre-production and prototyping
- Shop drawings (CAD)
- Water-jet metal shapes
- CNC machining
- Architectural millwork
- Specialty automotive paint prepping and finishing
- Fiberglass production (FRP)
- 3-Dimensional design and fabrication
- Complete design specification services
- In-house fabrication
- Turnkey installation
Keep an eye peeled for all A&ES design/builds prominently featured in the Bass Pro Shops.