LEGOLAND® Friends & Heartlake City
LEGOLAND® Merlin Entertainments® • Amusement Parks & Attractions • June 2015
A&ES takes Heartlake City design/build to heart…
The new Heartlake City expansion to LEGOLAND® Florida is a child-centric attraction. There are several related themed environments, larger-than-life LEGO® bricks, and brick models designed around the interactive LEGO play experience for children and families. LEGOLAND® Florida’s first Heartlake City is a modern new metropolis and home to LEGO’s five most famous Friends – Mia, Olivia, Andrea, Stephanie, and Emma. The new Heartlake City features themed environments in a residential area, downtown, and waterfront. It includes a shopping mall, candy store, ice cream parlor, horse stables, clubhouse, entertainment venues, and more.
The A&ES creative and production teams took immense pride in being selected for the 2015 LEGO Friends and Heartlake City project as the right fit after successfully designing, engineering, building, and installing the primary themed environment LEGOLAND® Florida Hotel. A&ES develops dynamic signature-themed products from conception to completion throughout this renowned hotel.
A&ES welcomes partnering with LEGOLAND® Merlin Entertainments® to develop the new Heartlake City at the world’s largest LEGOLAND® Florida interactive theme park. A&ES’s innovations are much sought after worldwide, as projects are precisely estimated, carefully executed, and completed on budget and on time – every time. This project includes two Heartlake City Portals complete with authentic signage, and LEGO Brick built animals for the attraction’s two public entrances. The two portals fabrication uses proprietary fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) with structural steel support. The two Heartlake City signs are aluminum composite material (ACM) substrate with applied vinyl.
A&ES also brings the Heartlake Streetscape to life with five new multi-media signs to direct visitors to the new Heartlake Shopping Mall, Candy Store, and Ice Cream Parlor. The wayfinding and signage meet specifications using ACM substrate with applied vinyl. A&ES team displays its unique creative skills in creating three large functional one-of-a-kind candy dispensers featured at the Heartlake City’s new Candy Store. The design/build of decorative planter boxes, palm trees, and lanterns enhance the new storefronts.
The interactive Heartlake City News Room’s unique work scope includes the interior and exterior along with the superior construction of Stephanie’s convertible seen parked in her reserved parking space in front. A scrolling LED with headlines, Stephanie’s news desk, and 3-D backdrops are additional unique elements thanks to A&ES.
After laser scanning Stephanie’s actual convertible toy, A&ES creates a 3-D model to provide every detail. Concurrently, its build crew devotes its effort to incorporate additional structure and support into the convertible to ensure test-driving children’s safety.
The Heartlake City Stables are home to Mia’s Riding Camp and a big focus for this project. A&ES fabricated the 3-D Hay Loft Entrance Portal, the sizeable stable façade panels, flags, poles, and two 3-D LEGO horses with sound effects. The unique Brick Build Table combines farmyard tools, stable equipment, vegetable cart, barrels, and water trough, adding depth to visitors.
LEGO Friends Rescue Stage—a multi-level stage using Metal Truss System and includes LEGO Themed Backdrop—and Clubhouse uses mixed media, including FRP, ACM, MDF plywood. The Heartlake City Show Venue hosts a 27- foot-tall x 40-foot-wide LEGO Themed Building Façade including a 15-foot LEGO Parapet Wall with functional LEGO GRP Clock, two LEGO FRP Metal Lamp Posts, and a 3-D Friends Clubhouse sign and LEGO Themed Backdrop.
- Two large Friends themed entry portals with dimensional ID signage
- Heartlake shopping mall themed building exterior with custom painting and 3-D signage
- Upscaled 3-D FRP Friends convertible photo op with friends dog and props
- Themed Friends newsroom with dimensional graphics and scrolling led news ticker
- Themed Friends ice cream parlor and candy store with graphics and signage
- 3-D themed photo backdrops
- Layered themed stable queue shelter with interactive sound effects
- Farm themed brick build table area with upscaled LEGO props and decoration
- Friends clubhouse themed façade with dimensional architectural elements, custom painting, and ID signage
- Friends to the Rescue stage theming, truss structure, and signage
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Assessment of preliminary space plans
- Provision of project management services including preparation of project budgets and schedules
- Preparation of construction documents, consisting of plans, details, and specifications
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes
- Identify facility impacts between contractor and A&ES components
- The organization, coordination, and planning
- Pre-production and prototyping
- Thermoplastic fabrication
- Shop drawings (CAD)
- Water-jet metal shapes
- CNC machining
- Architectural millwork
- Specialty automotive paint prepping and finishing
- Fiberglass production (FRP)
- 3-Dimensional design and fabrication
- Complete design specification services
- In-house fabrication
- Turnkey installation
Witness a healthy immersive experience of friendship and heart enhancing your collaboration with A&ES…