Multi-Challenge Activity Center
The Salvation Army - Kroc Foundation • Amusement Parks & Attractions • February 2013
Salvation Army-Kroc Foundation Multi-Challenge Activity Center is a major Memphis attraction…
A&ES is proud of one of its most unique themed attraction projects to date— the Multi-Challenge Activity Center (MCAS) for the Salvation Army – Kroc Foundation. The 104,000 square foot center is at Mid-South Fairgrounds near the Liberty Bowl in Midtown Memphis, TN, offering a comprehensive range of family-oriented programs and services to the surrounding community. The Mission Zone is a coordinated effort between the Salvation Army-Kroc Center, Renaissance Group, and A&ES. The result is a magnificent project drawing much attention and high praise.
In 2003, Joan Kroc gave The Salvation Army $1.5 billion of matching funds for Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Centers’ construction across the United States. After undergoing a rigorous application and selection process, Memphis became eligible to receive a matching gift from the Kroc Trust in 2005. The Ray & Joan Kroc Community Center is a fantastic venue for recreation, education, worship, and the arts. A total of 26 Kroc Centers are now open nationwide.
The Mission Zone recreational center is a 104,000 square foot multi-level/functional building with numerous rooms centered around an open competition arena and basketball court. Each room features the themed architectural millwork, themed facades, casework, sculpture, lighting effects, interactive components, hand-painted faux finishes, and large-scale printed graphics produced by the A&ES creative team. The complex and immersive environment is reminiscent of an old boiler room in one area and a futuristic science lab.
The A&ES production team custom fabricated every piece of the themed interiors and scenic elements to precise specification at its Jacksonville production facility in FL. With years of experience in amusement park and themed attraction design, a skillful, talented team of production artists and craftsmen seamlessly navigated through the highly complex and lengthy design-build process to The Mission Zone’s successful completion.
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Assessment of preliminary space plans
- Provision of project management services including preparation of project budgets and schedules
- Preparation of construction documents, consisting of plans, details, and specifications
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes
- Identify facility impacts between contractor and A&ES components
- The organization, coordination, and planning
- Pre-production and prototyping
- Thermoplastic fabrication
- Shop drawings (CAD)
- Water-jet metal shapes
- CNC machining
- Architectural millwork
- Specialty automotive paint prepping and finishing
- Fiberglass Production (FRP)
- 3-Dimensional design and fabrication
- Complete design specification services
- In-house fabrication
- Turnkey installation
Check your activity level to see if you’re up for a challenge…
A&ES is up for your challenging project!