Nicklaus Children’s Hospital – The Healing Garden
Perkins+Will • Churches & Hospitals • February 2019
The Healing Garden is a magical space at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, promoting healing and comfort for young patients and their families…
Miami, FL’s remarkable Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best in the nation in six specialties for 2018-2019. The open-air healing garden features direct access for visitors and patients to engage with live plants and trees complemented with safe yet playful furniture. Themed architectural elements and live courtyard plant walls create a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces amid colorful chameleons, giant green Monstera leaves, bamboo forests, and sculptural plant life. A five-story montage of tall trees highlighted by down lighting in the evening is a favorite among parents, children, and staff members who enjoy the fresh air. Tree canopies and suspended fabric sails allow solitude under starry heavens in the evening to embrace the restful oasis. Soothing indirect backwash LED lighting lends to the comforting ambiance after hours. It is a happy, fun destination for children during long treatment sessions. Conducive to children, whether fully ambulatory or in wheelchairs, the rooftop Healing Garden is a piece of paradise in downtown Miami.
The Healing Garden’s 3,000 sq. ft. of visually exciting and sensory interactive environments enhance the patient’s experience through direct involvement and indirect via spectacular courtyard−facing views. 215,000-sq. ft. LEED-certified Pediatric Care Pavilion. The senses awake each morning by sounds of rustling leaves from a tall bamboo, the relaxed, comforting feel of the smooth wood benches, lacy shadows that playfully move across space as the sun rises and warms up the garden. An open wood deck area becomes active for patients and guests alike as children get together for healthy play and interaction every afternoon. They explore the various textures of materials and vegetation—from the climbing vines on the trellis wall to the soft, manicured topiaries of friendly forest animals. The experience changes yet again as the galaxy’s visual wonder projects onto a canopy overhead in the evening. A secluded waterfall’s gentle sound creates a soothing sensation, as a striking illuminated waterfall digitally projects onto a 50-foot façade. Patients and their families restore their senses and recover mentally and emotionally while sounds from the forest transport them all to a different world.
A&ES and Perkins+Will‘s collective expertise provides unique creative environments to foster health improvement outcomes for children. Surrounded by tranquil nature elements in a healing environment, a child benefits physically, mentally, educationally, and emotionally.
- Living garden wall
- Powder-coated aluminum rectangular tubing with concealed mounting
- A full panel width (approx. 3′) and ½ panel width vertical bands mounted with 3″ overlap and 1″ to 3″ horizontal offset to create varied vertical shadow lines
- Six overlapping tensile shade structure canopies
- 1500 sq. ft. of custom laser-cut painted aluminum leaf and vine cutouts
- Custom fabrication
- Architectural coordination
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Assessment of preliminary space plans
- Provision of project management services including preparation of project budgets and schedules
- Preparation of construction documents, consisting of plans, details, and specifications
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes
- Identify facility impacts between contractor and A&ES components
- The organization, coordination, and planning
- Pre-production and prototyping
- Thermoplastic fabrication
- Shop drawings (CAD)
- Water-jet metal shapes
- CNC machining
- Architectural millwork
- Specialty automotive paint prepping and finishing
- Fiberglass Production(FRP)
- 3-Dimensional design and fabrication
- Complete design specification services
- In-house fabrication
- Turnkey installation
A&ES’s organization, coordination and planning, comprehensive design specifications services, in-house fabrication, and seamless turnkey installation translate into healing and hope for those entering The Healing Garden.